Saturday, November 19, 2011

How can I tell if I have an original oil painting by the original artist?

I bought a painting at a flea market, and I have done some research. The artists name is "Marguerite Stuber Pearson". I have reason to belive this may be an original. Any ideas?

How can I tell if I have an original oil painting by the original artist?
First of all, an original painting is not necessarily worth anything other than what you pay for it- the painting might be valuable only if the artist is well-known. If this is the case, then you would need to research what is called "provenance;" this is the record of the ownership of the painting, as it has changed hands through auctions and what-not. Barring that, you would need to see an expert who is familiar with the artist's work, or even better, the artist himself, if he is still alive.
Reply:Go to a reputable Art Gallery and have it appraised. They should be able to tell you by just looking at it if it would be worth having it appraised. Appraisal is not expensive. Maybe about $50 -$100. If you do have it appraised and it is worth money bring your appraisal to your insurance and have it insured. Insurance is very reasonable.


No comments:

Post a Comment